HISTORY 1953 May9

Items from the cornerstone of the old Methodist Church are removed after completion of a new church building May 9, 1953. Image was scanned from a black and white, 4-inch by 5-inch negative.

1921 — 100 years ago

Another landmark in the development of Hood River County will be available for all to see when the Columbia Gorge Hotel, built by Simon Benson and to be operated by Henri Thiele, will be open to the public. It is expected that the hotel would be ready to receive guests this weekend, but it was decided to wait a few days and have everything in readiness. One of the big features of this hotel will later be its beautiful grounds. Today, the surroundings do not harmonize with the hansom building but they will soon transform into a park worth of the finest tourist hotel. — Hood River News

HISTORY June 1 1961

SCHOOL’S OUT! — These Coe primary students received no graduation ceremonies or diplomas this week, but the traditional end of school ride aboard the Hood River Fire Department’s gleaming red trucks was obviously a more delightful reward. Aboard the ladder truck to help the youngsters on and off were Firemen J.B. Coffey, left, and Police Chief Francis Woolston, right.