Hood River County Education Foundation (HRCEF) has announced that April 26 is the application deadline for scholarships for Hood River Valley High graduates who will be entering their sophomore, junior or senior year in college (or trade school) in the fall of 2021. Laurie Stephens, HRCEF executive director, reminds applicants, “All of the scholarships require letters of reference from people in the student’s area of study, so students should allow adequate time to obtain the letters.”
Application forms, details and specific requirements for each scholarship can be found at eschol.hrcef.org.
- The Martha and John Weber Scholarship is available only for students attending a community college or Technical or Trade school.
- The Ruth and Horace Daum scholarships are designated for sophomores, juniors and seniors in nursing, music or science-related fields.
- The Jesse Elder Memorial Scholarship is not restricted to specific majors.
- The Janet C. Thompson Memorial Scholarship is restricted to applicants majoring in music.
- The Cascade Locks Alumni Association and The Rosenback Family Fund both offer scholarships to students who lived in Cascade Locks while attending high school.
- Mary Clifford Memorial Scholarship makes awards to students attending community college, trade school or a 4-year college/university who demonstrate significant financial need.
- The Diana Carroll Scholarship is offered to students who are pursuing a degree in education for the purpose of entering a teaching profession.
In 2020, the Hood River County Education Foundation awarded more than $70,000 in scholarships to HRVHS graduates in their sophomore, junior and senior college years, as well as $117,000 in scholarships to graduating HRVHS seniors. Most scholarships are provided by bequests or annual donations from local residents, and local businesses and agencies.
Anyone wishing to create a scholarship, or donate to the HRCEF Scholarship Fund may contact the Education Foundation at 541-387-5713, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.